Happy 2014! With Hercules, the first winter storm of 2014, impacting about 1/3 of the country, many are probably dreaming about a warm and sunny destination away from the frigid temperature and snow. So to kick off the new year, the experts at Fly.com have found some great fares to San Diego, America’s Finest City! The nickname is rather apt for the city that’s known for its perpetual sunshine and temperate climate all year round.
Many who aren’t familiar with San Diego will no doubt associate it with SeaWorld and Shamu the orca. However, San Diego has more to offer than just a sea life theme park. There’s the San Diego Zoo with over 60 varieties of animals including giant pandas, just one of four zoos in the U.S. to have giant pandas. There’s also the 23 acre LEGOLAND California located in Carlsbad, just 30 minutes north of San Diego, complete with a water park and an aquarium.
If you rather avoid a theme park, there’s always the Gaslamp Quarter, where most of the major hotels are located along with more than 100 bars, coffee shops and restaurants. And a trip to San Diego won’t be complete without spending some time at the beach. There’s Mission Beach with its boardwalk where visitors can rent equipments to skateboard, rollerblade or bike. Thrill seekers can experience the Giant Dipper Roller Coaster at Belmont Park, one of the last remaining wooden roller coasters. Or if you want to watch where the rich and swanky live, there’s La Jolla, a hilly seaside community with a quaint village, cliffs and secluded coves. So grab one of these low fares and get acquainted with San Diego!
Cheap Flights to San Diego
The prices below represent a savings of up to $150 off typical roundtrip prices. These fares are not part of an airline sale and may disappear at any time, so book ASAP!
Availability varies by route, with many of them being nonstop flights. Click on the Fare Calendar Links below to find the best dates to travel to San Diego from January – March, unless noted otherwise (all prices roundtrip, including taxes):
- $72 — Las Vegas
- $108 — Portland, Ore.
- $154-$156 — San Francisco
- $158 — Dallas (Jan. – Feb.)
- $178-$187 — Denver (Jan. – April)
- $226 — Chicago (Jan. – April)
- More cheap flights to San Diego
Other Flight Deals
If the idea of watching killer whales entertaining the masses will make you want to go all “Free Willy” with the orcas, we have found more great deals to other U.S. and international destinations that might tickle your fancy.
Availability varies by route, with many of them being nonstop flights. Click on the Fare Calendar Links below to find the best dates to travel January – March, unless noted otherwise (all prices roundtrip, including taxes):
- $128 — Baltimore – Fort Lauderdale (Nonstop; Jan. 11 – March 11)
- $128 — Chicago to Phoenix (Nonstop; Jan. – March)
- $148 — Detroit to Fort Lauderdale (Nonstop; Jan. 8 – March 11)
- $148 — Detroit to Orlando (Nonstop; Jan. 9 – Feb. 25)
- $165 — Boston to Charleston, SC (Jan. – March)
- $167-$177 — Houston to Las Vegas (Nonstop; Jan. – March)
- $198 — New York City to New Orleans (Nonstop)
- $236 — Philadelphia to Miami (Nonstop; Jan 21. – March 25)
- $381 — Los Angeles to Honolulu (Nonstop)
- $396 — Oakland to Honolulu (Nonstop)
- More cheap flights from your city
Note: Most of the above deals are available in the opposite direction as well, so be sure to search.
International Flight Deals
- $190-$210 — San Diego – Los Cabos, Mexico (Nonstop; Jan. 14 – March 11)
- $295 — Dallas to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (Feb. only)
- $238 — Raleigh to San Juan, Puerto Rico
- $372 — Fort Lauderdale to Lima, Peru (Nonstop; May 1 – June 10 & Aug. 19-31)
For hotel suggestions, deals or offers, check out Fly.com/hotels.
Fly.com News and Updates
For the latest information:
- Subscribe to the Travelzoo Top 20
- Follow us on Facebook or Twitter (@Fly_com)
- Subscribe to the Fly.com blog
- Fare Calendars – This tool shows the best deals from the nearest major airport and allows users to create a custom fare calendar for any route (scroll to the bottom for this functionality).